close
close
Local

British car rental owner lending vehicles in Tenerife seeks teenager

The British owner of a car rental company on Tenerife says the community has 'mobilized' to search for missing teenager Jay Slater and has made cars available on the island for those helping to research.

The 19-year-old from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, went missing after trying to walk home after missing a bus, and was last heard from when he called a friend on Monday.

Andrew Knight, 29, owner of Sanasty Car Hire Tenerife, told the PA news agency he had provided 10 cars free of charge to help people get to the search location, and had himself helped with the research.

Teenager Jay Slater went missing in Tenerife and was last heard from on Monday (Andrew Knight/PA)

“It’s a very, very isolated landscape. It's difficult to get to, it's about a 45 minute drive from the main area of ​​Los Cristianos, Las Americas.

So far, several cars have been rented each day for this purpose, including from Mr. Slater's uncle, Mr. Knight said, adding that some people had returned with “cuts on their legs from all the cacti.” .

Mr Knight moved from Liverpool to Tenerife 10 years ago and although he did not know the teenager, he felt obliged to help as it is in his “nature” and “just like Tenerife in as a community.”

“It’s very much the community of Tenerife when something happens like this. Everyone comes together and does what they can,” he said.

“The expatriate community, in particular, is mobilizing a lot.

“We have had incidents like this before and everyone shares everything, everyone does their part between work and serving the tourists who are here, because there are a lot of people here at the moment in general.”

He participated in the search himself for about three hours Thursday and posted a video of his efforts for his 81,000 subscribers on his YouTube channel, TheKnightStrider.

Search teams search for missing teenager Jay Slater (Andrew Knight/PA)

“It gets very cold at night, especially with the thin air and wind chill. It would be pretty cold if you were up there without sweaters and jackets and everything.

Mr Knight said the community had come together and he hoped the teenager would be found.

“I think the response has been very positive and that will continue as well. It's not just going to go away or stop, they're going to keep sharing and keep sharing until there's information or answers, or until it's found,” he said. declared.

“I hope he is found alive and well.” I hope he's hiding somewhere or something, that's the most positive outcome and I just hope they find him alive and well. This is the main hope.

A fundraiser organized by Lucy Law, the last person in contact with Mr Slater, to “bring Jay Slater home” received more than £24,300 in donations.

A spokesperson for the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said: “We are supporting the family of a British man missing in Spain and are in contact with the local authorities. »

Related Articles

Back to top button