close
close
Local

Man fatally stabbed after running to New York bodega for help

A man was brutally stabbed to death Saturday night after going to a Queens bodega for help – the latest wave of violence hitting small stores in the Big Apple that are now reportedly in a 'state of emergency' .

The fatal assault occurred around 9:40 p.m. when the unidentified victim, aged 40, ran to Sammy's Gourmet Deli on Jamaica Avenue in Jamaica for help and was stabbed multiple times in front of vendors horrified, according to the police and a representative of small traders.

Police sources said the killing resulted from an argument that spilled over into the store.

A 40-year-old man was stabbed to death Saturday night at Sammy's Gourmet Deli in Jamaica, Queens. LoudLabsNYC

“Bodegas are not equipped to save lives, and that needs to change,” Fernando Matero, director of United Bodegas of America, said in a statement Sunday. “UBA has declared a state of emergency.

“We have to remember that bodegas are community centers for many of these communities,” Mateo said. “Selling eggs, milk and beer represents 65% of our business. The remaining 35% helps our community and helps the NYPD solve crimes.

The New York Police Department has not released further details about Saturday's killing.

The safety of bodega workers is an ongoing concern in the Big Apple.

In January, Gov. Kathy Hochul announced a $40 million plan to help bodega and small business owners, including about $5 million to increase security and police presence to combat pet theft. displays and violence in neighborhood stores.

A witness to Saturday's murder said the dispute stemmed from a stolen wallet. LoudLabsNYC
Workers at the city medical examiner's office remove the body of the stabbed man. LoudLabsNYC

But Mateo said he has yet to see the investment.

A local interviewed in a video obtained by The Post said the fatal argument at Sammy's erupted during an argument over a stolen wallet that escalated.

“I just feel like this neighborhood isn’t safe,” said one woman who lives in the neighborhood. “You don’t want to raise your children here.

“I have two children,” she said. “I worry about my children’s safety all the time, especially in this area.”

Cellars in the five boroughs have repeatedly become crime scenes in recent years.

In May, a Queens deli employee fatally stabbed a Bronx man who was choking him inside the store, while another man was stabbed to death at another Queens store during a fight over beer.

Fernando Mateo, a spokesman for United Bodegas of America, said he was declaring a state of emergency for small business owners in light of the ongoing violence. Robert Mécea

In April, a bystander was shot and killed during an armed robbery at a Bronx bodega, and in February, a Brooklyn deli worker was shot in the back during a dispute over cigars, police said.

According to NYPD statistics, thefts at the city's bodegas and small stores had already more than doubled by mid-2022 compared to the same period in 2021, with small business owners repeatedly calling for help from City Hall. .

In late 2023, The Post reported that more and more bodega workers were arming themselves.

Related Articles

Back to top button