Wichita man arrested after shooting, crashes during police chase

A 24-year-old Wichita man was arrested Thursday in connection with a shooting near Central and I-135.

The man also led police on a vehicle chase that ended after he crashed into two other vehicles and fled on foot, Wichita police spokesman Juan Rebolledo said.

The man was arrested on suspicion of two counts of aggravated battery following the shooting and two counts of aggravated battery “intentionally driving his vehicle into two other vehicles while trying to elude officers during the chase,” Rebolledo said in a press release.

Click to resize

A 27-year-old Wichita woman was shot in the upper leg at a home in the 600 block of North New York, police said. Emergency medical services took her to hospital and she is expected to survive.

The shooting was reported at 7:15 a.m.

Rebolledo said the victim and suspect were acquaintances and police were still working to determine what led to the shooting. He didn't know who lived in the house.

A 911 caller reported that “a man entered and shot a woman in the upper leg, then fled in the unknown vehicle,” according to a Sedgwick County emergency communications dispatcher .

Police, following leads, spotted the suspect in a vehicle shortly after the 911 call, leading to a car chase.

“During the pursuit, the suspect's vehicle collided with two other vehicles near 7300 E. Kellogg, rendering the suspect's vehicle disabled,” Rebolledo said. “The suspect then fled on foot but was quickly apprehended by police.”

One of the drivers was checked by EMS as a precaution; the other driver refused medical treatment.

Michael Stavola covers breaking news at the Wichita Eagle. He was a finalist for the prestigious Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting in 2022. He has also won several national, regional and state awards during his seven years working at Kansas newspapers. He completed his MBA at Wichita State University in spring 2020.

Related Articles

Back to top button